Tuesday, March 10, 2009

As promised... Art Is A Funny Thing


Art is a funny thing. You take it for granted most of the time because you probably don't realize the art around you. To create art is one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. To create good art is almost impossible for me... or at least I thought it was. I have learned how to paint, how to sketch, how to sculpt, how to carve and mold metal, how to decorate a cake and none of it was easy for me... except maybe decorating cakes I guess whipped cream likes me. I was always a numbers girl. I took advanced math and science...well I took advanced everything in high school actually, but no art. I always wanted to take art, but my parents and school guidance counselors always pushed me to go into a field of math or science where there were less girls so that I would do well in life. This philosophy should be killed. I would be a shell of a person if I did not, finally in college, try my hand at creating. My brain was not equipped, however, with the tools to use that part of your brain opposite from the number crunching, the creating part. My ability to see things in my head and translate them into a physical form or picture has been challenging to say the least, making my brain actually hurt at times. I never thought I would make it through even the basic of art classes, especially because of one terrible, awful professor. What I didn't know, was that I was already an artist in my own right. I love clothes. Love. Love. Love clothes. I always have and I always will. There is a science and a math to clothes as well as an art. The physics of cuts and seams and what styles look good on what bodies and what accessories will make an outfit better is a measure of balance. If I have a special occasion coming up I will mull over the details of that outfit for weeks mostly because I love it but also because I love getting it right. I also love to edit my roomies outfits for them (love you guys :) In my friends and family's recognition of my love for clothes I have been given plenty of books on the art of dressing with authors including by not limited to Rachel Zoe (love you), and Nina Garcia. The one true thing that these women and others stress and I have learned to cherish is find your inspiration. Inspiration comes from everywhere. I am now required to carry 2 sketch books around at all times to be filled and passed in for grades. The idea is to sketch anything and everything that inspires me. I sketch anything from a textile, to an outfit, to a bush or flower anything and everything. There is no better therapy or way to make your life seem more beautiful than to make yourself want to be inspired. Does that make sense? If you are always looking for inspiration you are always looking for beauty, in the conventional sense or not you are looking or rather you are asking the universe to send you something inspiring. It's spiritual I guess. We all have artistic ability in one way or another. What's yours?

peace.love.and.creation.


p.s. I have Slightly Stoopid's "Collie Man" stuck in my head... its not so terrible

pic:su blackwell

No comments:

Post a Comment